Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Cancelled flight to ice base

Yesterday our scheduled flight to the ice base was cancelled due to maintenance work on the plane; and since then we are standing by. That is part of the life here...waiting for good weather and readiness of planes. Within one hour we could be gone though. Everyone of us are ready and can wait to head out on the ice. Waiting evolves in a rollercoaster of anticipation and disappointing news.

Despite the coldest day since our arrival, I jumped into my Arctic suit and headed out this morning. As a dog lover I put my tele zoom on my Olympus camera for good shots of the sledge dogs around Resolute Bay. It seems they have very different lifestyles among themselves. Nevertheless they share the same character with the dogs we know from home and neighbourhoods...the best friend of man.


Calm but vigilant

                                    
                                  Remarkable adaption to the extrem cold


                Hauling tells you about the close origin of the sledge dog - the wolf

                                        Did someone knock on my door?


Please wake me up at lunch time !

Despite the disappointment of cancelled flights, I certainly enjoyed capturing the life of our best friends in Resolute. I hope sending the next news from the ice base. 

2 comments: