Saturday, April 2, 2011

Good news...

This morning I received the news from the CatLin Headquarter in London, that my luggage made it on the plane from Ottawa to Iqaluit, and later in the afternoon further to Resolute. At 7.30 pm I picked up my luggage from the airport after more than 3 days of tracking, arranging and chasing United Airline. Claire from the headquarter played an important role by having a contact from FirstAir in Ottawa loading my luggage on the plane.

It is still uncertain when we fly on the ice. There is a chance that it may happen tomorrow. It is a complicated interaction of different factors including talking to pilots, ice conditions for landing, and weather forecasts for Resolute and the ice camp site. Furthermore, CatLin plans also to drop their explorer team at the geographical North Pole from where the team of four walk back towards the Canadian Archipelagos pulling each a 80 to 100 pound heavy sledge. If the weather over the North Pole is good, the explorer will be dropped first meaning the ice camp team have to wait for 1-2 days.

Having my luggage now I spend the night of checking gear and sewing a furl on the hood of my new Montane suit. The whole team is now very excited to leave Resolute to our final destination 78°45’N 103°30’W. Latest report of actual temperature: -29 deg Cels.

3 comments:

  1. Praise be to God for He answered our prayers ;)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :D Hi Oli!!!! Blessed and fruitful trip!

    ReplyDelete