Friday, April 1, 2011

First hike testing gear

In the morning we spend time to settle our personal gear - better my teammates did and I kept chasing United Airline to deliver my luggages to Ottawa. After receiving information that my luggages will arrive in Ottawa in the afternoon on flight 7697, my attention was quickly drawn to the fact that this flight depart from Chicago. After a few other calls it was confirmed...United sent my luaggage from Washington DC to Chicago, but I know now that they got it back on track to Ottawa where it arrives this afternoon. New challenge is to ensure United transfer it on time to First Air for tomorrow's flight to Resolute.

Despite my missing gear, I joined the team for a moderate afternoon hike to the top of a hill which protects Resolute Bay from northern winds. Jamie passed me some of his clothing for the time I wait for my own to arrive. However, it was a nice afternoon with a temperature of about -20 deg Cels and we were warming up quickly climbing up the hill. After we reached the first plateau, a light wind gave us a little chill but our new Montane suits did a great job.


                              Fig.1: Our first hike leading to the top of the hill


                                 Fig.2: Hiking up the hill

I will spend the evening trying to find out if United passed my luggage to FirstAir as it is a crucial step to get hold on my gear in time. My wife has taken over the job to call the airport of Ottawa getting any information which might be useful. Hopefully by tomorrow I have good news.

No comments:

Post a Comment